Marriage, Couples and Relationship Counseling
Attending Couples Counseling and Therapy in Philadelphia
At Equilibria Psychological and Consultation Services, we offer couples therapy and marriage counseling to help couples navigate the challenges and obstacles that often arise in relationships. The relationship counseling experience is aimed at increasing empathetic understanding, improving effective communication, and providing an opportunity for mutual growth in your relationship.
Is there a difference between marriage, couples, and relationship counseling or therapy?
The short answer is: no. These terms are often used interchangeably, which is the case at Equilibria. When two people join together as part of an intimate relationship, whether that is dating, life partnership, or marriage, various issues and struggles may arise as they strive to attain and maintain satisfaction in their relationship.
Why Participate in Relationship Counseling and Therapy?
There are many reasons why a couple would seek couples therapy to improve their relationship. Attending therapy may help keep the lines of communication open and other times, couples attend therapy due to a significant change in their relationship.
Signs Your Marriage or Relationship May Benefit from Counseling
- “Our communication has really declined in quantity and quality”
- “It feels like we are just occupying the same space”
- “It feels like we are just going through the motions”
- “One of us has had or is considering having an affair”
- “We don’t have a sex life anymore”
- “We don’t know how to resolve our differences anymore”
- “The resentment is building and I can’t move past it”
- “Their resentment is building and they can’t move past it”
- “Separating seems like the only way I’ll be happy at this point”
- “We don’t see eye to eye on finances/social life/work/parenting”
- “We’re just staying together for the children”
- “We just want to strengthen our relationship”
- “Something big happened and we need help working through it”
- “I don’t feel like I know my partner anymore”
- “Everything my partner does seems to annoy me”
The Relationship Counseling and Therapy Process
For the first several sessions of couples therapy, Equilibria’s relationship counselors will assess your relationship. Our counselors are trying to figure out the patterns that exist. Some of the patterns within the relationship that will be assessed include:
- What is the glue keeping you both in the relationship?
- Your relationship’s stresses and conflicts
- Your relationship’s strengths and weaknesses
- Your relationship’s communication patterns
- Each person’s expectations for both the relationship and their individual lives
- Your relationship’s history
In addition to looking at the patterns of the relationship, Equilibria’s couples therapist will also assess each of you individually to understand the history and expectations each brings into the relationship.
The couple and the therapist will then set realistic goals for the course of your couples therapy that will be revisited frequently over time. Occasionally, one person in the relationship chooses not to continue with the counseling. This does not mean the couples therapy has to end. Many times just one partner seeking counseling can experience significant changes that influence the course of the relationship. However, with couples therapy, it is ideal if both partners are committed to working on the issues together.
Why Couples Counseling and Therapy?
Couples therapy is aimed at increasing empathetic understanding, improving effective communication, and providing an opportunity for mutual growth. This type of growth can incredibly impact the couple as a whole and also each partner, individually.
Schedule an Appointment With A Marriage Counselor
If you would like to meet or talk with one of our relationship counselors in the Philadelphia area about couples therapy, call us at (267) 861-3685, option 1; or, fill out our contact form.