The Relationship Counseling and Therapy Process
For the first several sessions of couples therapy, Equilibria’s relationship counselors will assess your relationship. Our counselors are trying to figure out the patterns that exist. Some of the patterns within the relationship that will be assessed include:
- What is the glue keeping you both in the relationship?
- Your relationship’s stresses and conflicts
- Your relationship’s strengths and the weaknesses
- Your relationship’s communication patterns
- Each person’s expectations for both the relationship and their individual lives
- Your relationship’s history
In addition to looking at the patterns of the relationship, Equilibria’s couples therapist will also assess each of you individually to understand the history and expectations each brings into the relationship.
The couple and the therapist will then set realistic goals for the course of your couples therapy that will be revisited frequently over time. Occasionally, one person in the relationship chooses not to continue with the counseling. This does not mean the couples therapy has to end. Many times just one partner seeking counseling can experience significant changes that influence the course of the relationship. However, with couples therapy, it is ideal if both partners are committed to working on the issues together.