Michael Shelton, MS, CAC
Having been in the field for almost thirty years, I have learned that therapy should be experiential, individualized, pragmatic and educational. Therapy is a place for reflection and the gaining of insight; real growth, however, comes about through changing behaviors in day-to-day life. We will work together to experiment with new behaviors that challenge existing unproductive patterns as well as add meaning and satisfaction to your life. I can (and often do) introduce cutting-edge research into sessions so that we can discuss its meaning and significance for your presenting problems.
Though I am primarily schooled in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (the reigning psychotherapeutic approach for most mental health problems), I use a variety of methods. In short, I try to ascertain what works best for each and every person with whom I am collaborating. This includes the mindfulness stance of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT); finding one’s personal meaning and/or joy in life via Positive Psychology; exercise and meditation; and, if need be, referrals for medication-assisted treatment.
In addition to my work at Equilibria, I have found joy in working with numerous entities and in a myriad of capacities, including teaching graduate and undergraduate classes; writing; consulting, and public speaking engagements.
- Licensed Professional Counselor in the State of Pennsylvania
- Internationally certified as an Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor
- Author of three published self-help books, including one that went on to win a “best book of the year” award by the Independent Book Publishers Association
- Recognized as the leader of the year in the behavioral health field by NALGAP
- Created national guidelines for behavioral health treatment now in use throughout the country
- Recognized as an expert in male psychological concerns by Psychology Today
- Acknowledged as one of the experts in the country on LGBTQ issues
- Created the first graduate course in the country focused on cross-cultural counseling for trauma
Schedule an appointment with Michael online or call 267-861-3685, Option 1
Meet Some of Our Other Therapists & Psychologists
[indeed-my-team team=’all’ order_by=’date’ order=’ASC’ limit=’100′ show=’name,photo,description,job,social_icon,skills’ page_inside=’0′ inside_template=’IMT_PAGE_TEMPLATE’ theme=’theme_5′ color_scheme=” slider_set=’1′ tm_custom_href=’1′ columns=’4′ items_per_slide=’4′ slide_opt=’bullets,nav_button,autoplay,stop_hover,responsive,loop’ slide_speed=’5000′ slide_pagination_speed=’500′ pagination_theme=’pag-theme1′ animation_in=’none’ animation_out=’none’ ]